Thursday, February 28, 2013

 

Whenever I hear the words East Side...


Whenever i hear the words East Side I reach for my trusty Mauser. Yes, I was looking through some material on my shelves on East London when I came across the following brochure produced by Time Out entitled Eastside- A Guide to Spitalfields, Brick Lane and Columbia Road. I noticed that I had angrily written across it "The East End, you ponce!" The East End is Tower Hamlets and some parts of Hackney. It does not need a renaming by some glib and vacuous marketing consultant. It is not some area of Chicago or New York. Fortunately these asinine attempts to rob us of the history and traditions of the past that are summed up in the words East End have come to nothing, in spite of the drive towards increasing gentrification and social cleansing on the western edge of the East End and further afield. Thousands of throats are opened and pour forth the complaint: "The East End , you ponce!"

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?